In case you missed it! This weeks ECAASU Digest! =] ____
Your ECAASU Family ---
SEPTEMBER DIGEST HIGHLIGHTS:
Announcements: 1. ECAASU Campus Ambassadors 2. ECAASU Trailblazer Award, Nominations Needed 3. Be an ECAASU Intern! 4. ECAASU Campus Mixer Coming to a City Near You!
Opportunities: Internships, Jobs, Events, etc. 5. [Nationwide] What Does “Advancing Justice” Mean to You? 6. [Nationwide] Calling all Artists! 7. [NYC] Invitation to the play “Undocumented” by NYU Graduate Katherine Chua 8. [Nationwide] Free APIA films on Dramafever 9. [Atlanta] 7th Annual TEA Walk: “We Are One” ---------------------------
1) ECAASU Campus Ambassador The ambassador position is to help ECAASU build up a network across the East Coast amongst student leaders. At the same time, the program is an opportunity for people to step up and be an active community member in the East Coast region. In a way, it is very similar to a publicity position, in which we hope the ambassador will help us spread the news about ECAASU events (Fall Campus Tour and Spring Conference) and etc. to your campus community. If you would like to join the program and/or work on new ideas for the program, check this out.
2) ECAASU Trailblazer Award: Do you know a student who is paving the way for activism and advocacy in the Asian Pacific American community? The ECAASU National Board is soliciting nominations of students who inspire, educate and empower those interested in Asian American & Pacific Islander American issues. As a new initiative to honor those who whose work fits with our mission and goals, ECAASU has created the ECAASU Trailblazer Award to recognize those students who have significantly impacted his or her community. Every two weeks leading up to the ECAASU 2012 Student Conference at Duke University, a Trailblazer Award nominee will be chosen by the ECAASU National Board as a finalist. At the ECAASU 2012 Conference, all the finalists will be recognized at a reception and the winner for ECAASU's Trailblazer Award will be chosen. The winner of the Trailblazer Award will be recognized at the reception and win a scholarship of an amount to be determined to further his or her education or career aspirations.
Students must be nominated by their peers, co-workers or supervisors. For more information or to nominate a student, click here. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Nicole Fink, Advocacy Coordinator at email@example.com.
3) ECAASU Intern Positions Open With the many projects that are undergoing on National Board, we would appreciate any help from people who'd like to join on as an intern. This opportunity will allow you to work closely to our Advocacy, Communications, Finance, or E-News and Media team and be an active part of the planning and implementing process. Space is limited. For more information, click here.
4) ECAASU Campus Mixer Coming to a City Near You! Come join ECAASU and fellow student activists from a city near you! We will be traveling to 7 different cities including NYC, Philly, Hartford, Boston, Atlanta, and Florida to bring together students of the APIA community. If you are a student activist, love to meet new people, want to collaborate with others from your community this is the event for you!
5) What Does “Advancing Justice” Mean to You? Deadline: Answers accepted until Friday 9/23 | Winner will be announced 9/26 Answer in ONE comment for your chance to win FREE REGISTRATION to Advancing Justice Conference from Thursday, 10/27 to Friday 10/28 in San Francisco, CA! 6) Center for Asian Pacific American Women Hosts Leadership Summit Deadline: Entry forms due September 23, 2011. Confirmations sent out by 10-1-11. Exhibition runs October 10-21, 2011. The Asian American Cultural Center at the University of Connecticut will be hosting a Student Art Exhibition in October for AAHO – Asian American Heritage Observance.This year’s theme is: InspirAsian = Art, Art Inspired by Asian/America
We welcome student artists to submit art pieces for this exhibit that reflect and display the influence of Asia/Asian America on their art. For more information: http://www.asacc.uconn.edu/mp-full.php?news_id=48
7) Invitation to the play “Undocumented” by NYU Graduate Katherine Chua Date and Location: Oct 6,7,8,9 at Shell Theatre at Times Square Art Building Come watch the production of "Undocumented". It's a small play about a young girl who has to come to grips with the possibility of being deported. The play focuses both on the back-story of the main character and her life when is discovered by the authorities. The play will be performing in midtown Manhattan in October.
8) FREE APIA films Dramafever brings to you FREE APIA films.
9) 7th Annual TEA Walk: “We Are One” Date and Location: Atlanta, Georgia. Saturday, Oct 8 at 9am-1pm Our theme for 2011 is "WE ARE ONE," inviting Atlanta’s diverse community to walk in solidarity as one family, one community, and one America. Each year, they walk in unity to celebrate the diversity of our community and to promote civic engagement. TEA Walk is the largest empowerment walk of its kind in the South. At last year’s event, we had over 1,500 people from over 15 different states with the furthest walker being from Hawaii. Locally, nearly 20 different ethnic Asian American communities, associations, religious affiliations, local universities, community allies, and media participated in the walk. This year they expect even more walkers at the 2011 TEA Walk! Please join them on our 2-mile empowerment walk along Buford Highway. Enjoy cultural food, entertainment, and interactive booths celebrating the diversity in our community!
KEYNOTE SPEAKER John Lewis, US Congressman & Civil Rights Pioneer
To register: http://www.icpacs.org/teawalk/
____ If you would like to contribute to ECAASU’s biweekly digest by sending in news, events, or volunteer, internship, and job opportunities, please send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a title, brief summary (<250 words) and links, for inclusion into the newsletter. Submission does not guarantee inclusion in the newsletter; all submissions are screened before they are included.