For those who have already ended school, congratulations. For those who are waiting to finish finals, good luck. ECAASU will continue to keep you posted of opportunities.
Announcements: 1. [ECAASU] Building the Artist Directory 2. [ECAASU] Conference Video 3. [ECAASU] National Board 2012-2013 4. [ECAASU] Press Release: TrailBlazer Award
Opportunities: 5. Pvt. Danny Chen's Birthday Salute 6. Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund: Fall 2012 Internships 7. Asian Americans for Equality: Seeking Community Organizing Intern
1) [ECAASU] Building the Artist Directory
ECAASU has recently created an Artist Directory and we need your help to increase publicity for your favorite local artists (or yourself if you are a local artist). The directory connects student leaders looking for speakers and artists events on their campuses with local artists/speakers. It only costs $5 to be placed onto the directory. If you would like to be part of the Artist Directory or know someone who would be interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) [ECAASU] Conference Video Check out ECAASU's Conference Video here!
4) [ECAASU] Press Release: TrailBlazer Award In honor of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, ECAASU would like to highlight the groundbreaking contributions of Christopher Zou, ECAASU’s First Trailblazer Award Winner. Zou, a junior at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, is pursuing his BFA in Film & Television and a second major in Asian/Pacific/American Studies. He exemplifies overwhelming talent in filmmaking, and even more inspiring is his revolutionary advocacy for AAPIs in the media.
Thank you to the sponsors of this award, the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF), the Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS), and the Asian Pacific American Coalition of Connecticut.
View the attached Press Release document for more.
5) Pvt. Danny Chen's Birthday Salute Date: Thursday, May 24th Location: Pace High School Auditoriumin Chinatown (100 Hester St. New York, NY 10002)
6) AALDEF: Fall 2012 Voting Rights Internships The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, advocacy, and community education. Fall internships are available for college, graduate, and law students in AALDEF’s Voting Rights Program.
Bilingual ability is helpful but not required and languages (if any) should be stated in the resume. Applicants should also state the number of hours they are looking to contribute per week and a possible schedule. Send a resume and cover letter to:
7) Asian Americans for Equality: Seeking Community Organizing Intern Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is seeking a Community Organizing Intern to begin immediately and stay on until the end of June 2012. The intern will play a critical role in strengthening tenants’ rights and housing organizing programs in the neighborhoods of Sunnyside, Woodside, and Elmhurst, Queens. The intern must commit to 6-10 hours per week (not on Monday or Friday). S/he must be comfortable interacting closely with residents of various communities in Sunnyside, Woodside, and Elmhurst. S/he must have capacity in one or more Asian languages, preferably Chinese or Korean.
The intern should expect to be in the field most of the time. Responsibilities will include: doorknocking and surveying building residents, translating tenants’ rights material into language(s) in which intern has capacity, helping to set up and run housing workshops, assisting in research on neighborhood issues, government programs, city codes, etc. S/he may also be needed at occasional evening or weekend events (about 2 per month). If you are interested, please email a resume and cover letter, or direct any questions you might have, to: email@example.com.
If you would like to contribute to ECAASU’s biweekly digest by sending in news, events, or volunteer, internship, and job opportunities, please send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a title, brief summary (<250 words) and links, for inclusion into the newsletter. Submission does not guarantee inclusion in the newsletter; all submissions are screened before they are included.